Sunday, September 12, 2010

What We’re Using for School This Year

We’ve been back at school for two weeks now. They haven’t been full weeks by any means, so we’re still trying to get back in the flow of things. Here’s a little peek at our curriculum for this year.

For our family (group) time we’re using:

  • History/Bible/Geography: Simply Charlotte Mason-Genesis through Deuteronomy and Ancient Egypt
  • Read Aloud: Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder this term, then Charlotte’s Web, Wind in the Willows, Hans Brinker, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Wizard of Oz, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator and Pippi Longstockings
  • Artist Study: Monet, Christian Riese Lassen, Maxfield Parrish, P. Buckley Moss, Diego Rivera and Durer (one every six weeks) Using www.famouspoetsandpoems.com for poetry and bios.
  • Scripture Study: Starting in Genesis using SCM’s scripture memory system
  • Poet Study: Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, Robert Browning, Rudyard Kipling, Tennyson and Carl Sanburg (one every six weeks)
  • Hymn Study: Selected hymns from SCM recommendations. Using www.songsandhymns.org for music, lyrics and brief history of hymns.
  • Nature Study: Using ideas from www.handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com and things we find in our own backyard!
  • Composers: Chopin, Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Williams, O’Connor and Stravinsky (one every six weeks)
  • President & State Study: Read about one per week and complete notebooking page.
  • Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream-reading and watching the play on video. Maybe listening to an audio version if I can find one.
  • Church History: Continue reading one story per week from Trial and Triumph.
  • Fridays are reserved for art and field trips.

Laina is now 8th grade. I can’t believe I’ll have a high schooler next year! She’s using:

Blake is 5th grade. He’s using:

Connor is now 3rd grade: He’s using:

We are using the Charlotte Mason methods more full time this year. Lots of reading, narration and copywork. Connor really enjoys it. A few months ago he declared he was going to give up reading. A few days ago he exclaimed that he loves reading! 

I may have forgotten a few things, and I know this looks like a lot to do, but we don’t do every subject every day. This week will be our first full week and I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes!

my signature

6 comments:

NCMom said...

Did your dd do MUS pre-algebra? We are MUS users as well, but I've heard varied reviews of MUS for the upper grades. How do you like it? We are coming upon it fast!

I'm impressed that you do Hymn, Artist and Composer studies. Would you please share how you incorporate this into your schooling schedule & how many times per week you study these subjects.

Shannon said...

Hi NCMom-
Yes, we did MUS pre-algebra. It worked well. My daughter has been able to watch the videos & work on her own for the last two years and is doing so again w/algebra. She brings it to me if she doesn't understand or if we see she's struggling and then we go over it. But so far, so good!
I will gladly post about how we incorporate these studies into our week.

Cranberry Morning said...

I homeschooled for 21 years, and I've gotta tell you, one of my favorite parts was planning the curriculum. I LOVED doing that. Your list brings back great memories.

Have a great school year! :-)

Terrie B said...

How do incorporate HIstory? We struggle with great ways and currently our FAV method is the History Channel! But, I know its doesnt always thoroughly teach.
Last year we used Teaching Textbooks for math and we found out that Math 6 was actually Math for 5th grades (according to California standards) so now we are behind on Math and have to scurry to get my son caught up to where a 7th grader ought to be. I might try Math U See. I wish you were close by still so I could go See U'r Math lol.

Shannon said...

Thanks Judy for the warm wishes!

Terrie-I'll do a post for you specifically on our history program.

Thanks for the comments!

Unknown said...

Looks like a great plan. We use alot of the same materials. Charlotte Mason has changed our lives. We have read so much great literature since her way of teaching has come in to our lives.
Blessings
Diane

Post a Comment